Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Space Coast and Beyond...

So the Space Coast Half Marathon was on was phenomenal!!  I PR'd by 10 minutes but took 20 minutes off my Wine and Dine time.  Everything from the expo to the race and water stations/volunteers to the food afterwards were amazing.  I do wish that I could have picked up my packet on race morning, I saw other people doing it, but I followed the rules and went to the expo with Addie in tow.  I can't complain because we got to see the rocket launch from Kennedy Space Center..again AMAZING!!  The expo was small so it was easy to navigate.  Didn't buy anything but I could have done serious damage :)
We left the house around 4:30 to make the drive to Cocoa for the race.  Much love to Ty and Addie for waking up and going to support me!  Plenty of parking.  We walked around the finish line briefly before making our way to the start line.  I was slightly concerned because the pace corrals went from 12 min/mile to walkers...does that mean I should be a walker??  Oh well.  I do wish the corrals had been a bit more was very crowded and I couldn't see the blast off for the start.  Off we went!
I saw Ty right after the start and tossed him my headband...I don't know why I try because it never stays on my head.  Maybe the one from 13.1 going on crazy will work better!
I felt a little sluggish at the start but not too bad...I really picked up speed around mile 4 and that lasted until about mile 6 when I started to slow down again while I anticipated the turnaround which seemed like it would never come.  Around mile 8 the heat started to get to me and I slowed a lot...but I saw Ty and Addie on the course and I was on pace to finish under 3 hours...but no longer on pace to finish under 2:45 (I knew that was a long shot).  I ran/walked for a few miles and really tried to pick it up mile 11 to the finish.  I should mention that around mile 9 I got passed by the marathon winner...some people just run too fast.  I saw Ty and Addie again as I approached the finish line..Addie snuck under the rope and chased me to the finish line.  I think I have a runner on my hands and that is ok with me :)  She was very excited to tell me about the 57 high fives she got while cheering.
The medal, towel, and patch are awesome!  I didn't feel much like eating...again the heat was getting to me but according to Ty and Addie the breakfast was very good.  I can attest that the oranges and juice were very good :)

I took the next two days off and went for a 5 miler today.  Between Sunday and yesterday..the weather has cooled off a ton!  However, it is too cold for a tank top but not cold enough for long sleeves...very hard to dress for.  But Harley and I did 5 miles in 1:05, my fastest to date I think and then I decided to torture myself further and do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.  I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow but it will be so worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment