Friday, November 16, 2012

Running to a PR

I'm taking on the Florida Road Race Challenge!  A half marathon in October, December, January and March..complete all 4 and get a bonus medal!  I did the one in March last year and loved it so it is the same course as October so I'm ready to rock it!  We woke up early, too early and headed to Ft. de Soto beach for a wonderful 13.1 miles.  It was chillier than I was expecting, much colder than Tower of Terror and Addie was still sleeping in the car so I headed to the start line with my jacket on while Ty stayed in the car with her.  I would see him on the course to pass my jacket too as I warmed up.  By the way...I love my Brooks Utiopia jacket!  The race starts and we are off.  I want to stick to my intervals but no one around me seems to be doing the Galloway method and I don't want to stop to walk in front of anyone so I just keep running.  I see Ty up ahead and prepare to hand off my jacket.  My shins are bothering me a little bit and my quad is still iffy.  I'm questioning if I can finish around mile 2 and as I pass Ty come out of the out of the first little loop I'm struggling pretty hard.  However I get a boost as I pass the start line to go to the out and back...I just have to make it 5 miles to the turn around.  My shins are loosening up and I've settled into my intervals...did I just do a 5k faster than ever before but feeling awful? I sure did!!  My garmin is starting to act up so I grab Ty's watch as I pass him and shout that i'm going to break 3 hours!  As I pass mile 5 I am 7 minutes under my average!  What?!?  I'm rocking it!  Mile 8 and my time is what I usually do 7 miles in.  I hit the turn around and take an orange slice...delicious!  At mile 10 I'm 15 minutes under what I just did Tower of Terror 10 miler in.  I could walk the rest and still get a PR.  I slow down quite a bit for the next 3 miles because I'm heading into the wind and feel like I'm not moving at all.  At mile 12 I send Ty a text saying be ready to catch me at the finish because I feel like my legs are going to fall off.  He sees me turn the corner and tells me to go as he sees the clock...I might break 2:45.  I am willing my legs to go as fast as they can but they are dead!  I squeak out a little energy and do it...2:44!!!  I get my first time worthy of submitting to Disney :)  I took 14 minutes off my lifetime half marathon time and 19 minutes compared to this course last March.  We grab a quick bite to eat and Ty buys me my first medal hanger from Iron Sports Works.  My legs are sore but feel good.  It is amazing what training can do!!!  Next week is a week off then it is Wine and Dine time!

No comments:

Post a Comment